This page outlines homebrew that are recommended by the wii.hacks.guide staff for being useful, nice to have, or just flat out good. Take full advantage of the power you now have with your Wii!
Homebrew that has the ability to make permanant changes to your Wii are highlighted in bold.
- YAWM ModMii Edition - An extensively supported WAD manager with additional features. Recommended over any other WAD manager due to its extensive anti-brick protection.
- SysCheck ModMii Edition - A homebrew application which checks information about your Wii and pastes it back in a readable, sendable format. Think of it like a “System Information” app but for the Wii.
- CDBackup - Backup, restore, and delete Wii Message Board data.
- AnyRegion Changer ME - ModMii edition of AnyRegion Changer. While a powerful tool for changing region settings, it can also lead to severe bricks like Korean Kii/Error 003 so only use this app if you know what you are doing.
- WiiXplorer-SS - A modified and updated version of WiiXplorer. A file manager for the Wii, it allows you to view and customize files both on an SD card, a USB device, and the internal Wii memory. For this reason it is a very powerful but also dangerous tool - don’t modify files on the system NAND unless you know what you are doing, as it can lead to various types of bricks.
- SaveGame Manager GX - A savegame/Mii extractor for the Wii. It supports GameCube memory cards (physical and virtual), emuNANDs, normal and protected saves, themes, and more.
- csm-installer - An application that allows you to theme the Wii Menu. While quite useful to make your Wii unique, it also has the ability to cause a minor brick, so make sure to read our theme guide for safe usage instructions.
- CleanRip - A tool to backup GameCube and Wii discs. Further information can be found in our disc dumping guide.
- d2x cIOS installer - A custom installer for Wii IOS, some of which is required for the functioning of certain software like USB loaders. You can see the guide here.
- FTPii - An FTP server for your Wii, allowing you to transfer files across the network.
Games and Loaders
- Riivolution - An on-the-fly game patcher for use with retail game discs. It allows users to place content on an SD card or a USB device, which is subsequently read by the game during normal play. Riivolution can be used for custom textures, music, levels, memory patches, game translations, and more!
- USB Loaders - A general recommendation for a USB loader of any kind, which allows you to play game backups of retail discs. Further information can be found in our linked guide, which encompasses both Wii and GameCube loaders.
- CavEX - A project aiming to recreate the core survival experience of your favorite block game on the Wii up to Beta 1.7.3.
- Sonic CD - A port of the Sonic CD 2011 re-release from the RSDKv3 decompilation. The app requires assets from the official release in order to run.
- CTGP-R - A hefty mod of Mario Kart Wii that adds over 200 new tracks to the game. Requires a retail Mario Kart Wii game disc to run, independent of Riivolution.
- Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii - A significant NSMBW mod that adds 128 brand new levels to the game. Requires a retail NSMBW disc and Riivolution to run.
- FCE Ultra GX - A port of FCE Ultra, a Nintendo Entertainment System/Famicom emulator, to the Wii.
- Snex9x RX - A fork of Snes9x GX, a Super Nintendo Entertainment System/Super Famicom emulator, with extra features and speed improvements.
- Wii64 - A port of Mupen64 0.5, a Nintendo 64 emulator, to the Wii.
- Genesis Plus GX - An emulator with support for the Sega SG-1000, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis/Mega Drive, Sega Game Gear, and Sega/Mega CD consoles.
- mGBA - A port of mGBA, a Game Boy/Game Boy Color/Game Boy Advance emulator, to the Wii.
- WiiMednafen - A port of Mednafen, a multi-system emulator, to the Wii. This version supports more obscure consoles such as the Neo Geo Pocket, TurboGrafx 16/PC Engine (CD), and Bandai Wonderswan.
- WiiSX - A port of PCSX-ReARMed, a Sony PlayStation emulator, to the Wii.
- DOSBox Wii - A port of DOSBox, an emulator which runs software for MS-DOS compatible disk operating systems.
- WiiMC-SS - A modified and updated verison of WiiMC. Turns your Wii into a fully fledged media center, with the ability to listen to music, watch videos, play DVDs, and more.
- Schism Tracker - A editor and player for tracked music (IT, XM, S3M, MOD, etc.). You can find music to try out here.
- Danbo - Danbo
Continue to WiiConnect24
WiiConnect24 was originally discontinued in June of 2013, but as of the present, there are now two different services that restore its functionality in several different applications.